Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sarasota Lemonade

Beth and I had a girls' night last night since her husband was nerding it up with all the nerds in the Nerdery (their basement). We decided to make a new drink recipe I found: "Sarasota Lemonade".


The recipe calls for:

Two 750 ml bottles of Moscato (or one 1.5 liter bottle)
3 cups Sprite
6 ounces pink lemonade concentrate (thawed)
One package raspberries

Pour the wine into a punch bowl. Add the Sprite. Add the lemonade. Take half of the raspberries and mash them up before adding them to the bowl. Mix. Take the other half of the raspberries and put them in the glasses before serving.

Since we were afraid it would be too sweet, we decided to use the entire 12-oz can of pink lemonade and two packages of raspberries. The end result was more tart than sweet, which was perfect. Next time we make it, we're going to use Fresca instead of Sprite. We think the citrus will be more prominent; plus, Fresca is sugar-free.

Also, make sure you chill the wine and Sprite before making this. I bought everything on the way to her place, and it didn't taste quite right until we put a ton of ice cubes in our glass.

I have no idea what the calories per glass are, but it was a nice, refreshing summer treat.

As soon as Jess discovered (via Facebook) that we were drinking wine and watching shows like "Bridezillas" and "Say Yes to the Dress", she came over to help sample the drink and join us in our wine-induced mocking. It was a lot of fun! I haven't done something like that in a long time. Everyone has been so busy lately.

I barely remember the drive home. I wasn't drunk; I was just soooo tiiiired. I got three hours of sleep before work Saturday morning. Then, when I got to Beth's, I took an allergy pill since she has a dog and a cat. So by the time 2:30 AM rolled around, I was pretty sleepy. I debated calling Brent for a ride, but I wasn't so sleepy I couldn't drive, and I was barely buzzed, certainly not enough to impair my driving (and believe me - I'm a stickler for not driving when I'm unsure).

I stopped for gas, and the gas station had a case of Sweetwater's Donuts (they are a local legend, and they were featured on the Food Network a while ago). I don't even like donuts that much, but they just sounded so GOOD. This is probably proof I was too zonked to be out. I ended up buying two donuts and ate both of them on the way home. Ha!

I got home around 3:15, and Brent had left a light on for me. Awwww. It was a good thing since I'm not quite used to the new apartment yet. I ended up playing Sims for a while before going to bed. I have no idea why; I was SO ready to crash. I guess I just thought it was a good idea at the time.

I'm pretty sure I passed out around 4:00 or so. I woke up at 9:15 out of habit and went back to sleep until noon when Brent starting doing his morning routine. I could have slept another few hours, but I hate "wasting" days off.

-=-

It's 83 degrees right now. This is a WONDERFUL break from the 100+ temperatures we've had the past week. We also had a bit of rain and thunder last night; it was the first time it's rained in six weeks, so we were PUMPED. Chicago, Detroit, and northern Michigan have all been getting rain, but it keeps passing over Kalamazoo.

It's so strange to go through June and part of July without any rain, and I've actually been pretty depressed about it. Some people get grumpy during winter, but I tend to get grumpy during summer, especially when we have weeks upon weeks of hot, dry weather like that. I'm definitely one of those spring/fall/thunderstorm-loving girls. If we could move to a maritime climate, like Oregon or Washington, we'd be there in a heartbeat. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...