Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Oreo Cake

I decided to make this Oreo cake for a birthday party at work tomorrow. Since Brent was so sweet to buy me a present, I made another one just for him. :)


The recipe is:

One package (2-layer size) Devil's Food cake mix
4 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 cup butter
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed Cool Whip - make sure to thaw it in the fridge, not on the counter
12 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed

Bake the cakes in two 9-inch round pans according to the box directions.

Using a mixer, combine the cream cheese and sugar on low until relatively blended. Gradually add the Cool Whip and Oreos.

Once the cakes are cool, place one cake on a plate and spread the Oreo mixture on top, making sure to spread it evenly and get it relatively level.

Place the second cake on top.

Combine the Baker's chocolate and butter in a small bowl and microwave on high for two minutes. Stir the chocolate and butter until the chocolate is melted and let cool for five minutes. Once it is no longer runny, spread it slowly and evenly over the top of the cake.

Tips:

This recipe makes twice as much filling as you need. I used half and then saved half to make the other cake. The filling is super yummy, though, so you may want to use all of it. Just keep in mind that's going to make a BIG piece of cake. ;)

It was 97 degrees in my kitchen tonight. I had to put the glaze in the fridge for a bit, and even then it started running a bit as soon as I took it out (you can see the drips in the picture). If your kitchen is warm, you may want to put the cake in the fridge for a while before making the glaze. Then, the coolness of the cake will help "set" the glaze. I had to make a mad dash for my fridge since my cake was room temperature.

Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving. It's best to make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. The middle is like a whipped cheesecake, so treat the cake as a cheesecake and give it time to set.

Nutritional Info: This cake is designed to be cut into 16 pieces. One piece has 417 calories. If you cut the filling in half, it goes down to around 350 calories.

Recipe Credit: Kraftrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I put this on Pinterest? I am very interested in trying, so I have to save it somewhere. :-) If you would prefer I didn't, I will print it up instead. (It looks yummy!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...