Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mangia Mangia



Last week was Restaurant Week in Kalamazoo, so some friends of ours invited us to go to Mangia Mangia. Several restaurants downtown offered a $25 menu that featured an appetizer, entree, and dessert. It allowed patrons to sample the restaurant without paying the usual (more expensive) prices.

I chose the option with a Caprese Salad to start, Chicken Mangia (chicken w/ red wine sauce), and Zabaione w/ Berries for dessert.

I wasn't impressed. Perhaps it was just the items I chose, and maybe the regular pasta is very good, but I didn't feel like my dinner was worth $25 (let alone the regular price). I had a good time with my friends, though. Also, we got four inches of lake effect snow, and when we came out of the restaurant, it was like the entire world was trapped in a snow globe. It was really pretty and really thick.

-=-

This was our first Saturday without plans in a long time. I woke up at 8:00 like I have for the past couple Saturdays and then made myself go back to sleep. We did the grocery shopping and cleaned, and then I did my Turbo Jam workout.

I spent the rest of the day/evening reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I'm surprised I never read it as part of my English major, and now I'm sorry I didn't. It was an excellent book. I identified with her at many points, and I could tell it was cathartic for her to write it.

I also hooked up a wireless DVR in our bedroom so I can watch TV at night in the comfort of our warm bed. I was impressed that my first impulse wasn't to grab a snack. Snacking in bed with TV/Netflix has been a habit for many, many years. I wasn't hungry, though, so I poured a glass of Crystal Light and snuggled down into our blankets. Even if I HAD wanted a snack, I probably would have cut up an apple instead of grabbing something with 1300 calories in it. I like these changes. :)

-=-

We slept in again today. It's going to be a lazy Sunday. We're supposed to get snow and ice later today, so part of me thinks I should go shopping ASAP. Brent loaned me some money to buy new clothes since stuff is starting to fall off of me and I only have a few shirts that fit properly. I also need to do laundry. I'm sort of debating between staying home and doing laundry or running errands before the weather gets bad. I really don't feel like changing out of my pajamas, so laundry might win this war. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...