Saturday, November 17, 2012

Rant




Trying to lose weight with insulin resistance is like Sisyphus pushing his rock up that hill. I've been reducing my calories and exercising my butt off for two months without a single pound lost. I hate that I do everything everyone else does and only maintain while they put up 1-2 pound losses every week. This sucks, and I'm mad, and I don't even care that I sound whiny. I can't wait to see my doctor for a new/better battle plan in a couple weeks.

He warned me this would happen, that I could stall for six months or more, and that I might only lose one pound per month, but I'm still pissed.

I've lost 40-ish pounds successfully in the past, but that's the most I've ever lost. I've never lost 50, 60, 70 pounds. I hate to think my body likes to lose 40 pounds and then give up the ghost. I'm seriously freaking out right now, even though I know my doctor can probably clear this up with sage advice on December 5th. I can't wait to see him.

Since I have to reduce my carbs so much (and I've been having a hell of a time with that, despite my best intentions), my friend recommended the South Beach plan. I HATE gimmicks, but she said it's actually really easy to follow and not a "diet". The focus is simply on reducing carbs and getting your carbs from good sources instead of starchy/sugary sources. She's lost quite a bit of weight and has kept it off for two years. From her description of the meals and snacks, it sounds exactly like what I'm supposed to be doing. I figure it can't hurt to try it. I don't eat white flour and simple starches anymore, but I have to buckle down tighter than that.

I know I've "come so far" and that I feel better and my old clothes fit again and blah blah blah, but right now, it's really hard to focus on that while everyone on MFP is posting weight loss while I sit here at the same weight doing exactly what they're doing. I was supposed to be under 300 by Thanksgiving, and I haven't even budged a little bit since I made that goal. Now, I don't even know if I can hit my Christmas goal of 307.

I want to whine for hours about how incredibly unfair it is that I have a hormonal imbalance and metabolic syndrome, but I won't. I want to, but I won't. I simply have to wait and see what the doctor says. For all I know, we may just need to increase my Metformin or something simple like that.

In the meantime, I'll check out this South Beach thing, do it for a month, and see how it goes. It can't hurt to try; it's not like it'll make me gain weight.

I can't do the induction phase just yet, though. We leave for Albuquerque tomorrow morning, and while I don't plan to go hog wild during our vacation, it's also not the best time to try to eliminate all sugar and carbs from my diet. I will do my very best, but being on the train and going to restaurants and parties means I'm sort of at the whim of the universe. I'll just to have to find the lowest-carb options available, do my best, and then start induction when we get home.

1 comment:

  1. I understand how you feel.:( I don't know if it's just because I'm older now or what...but I have been exercising for 40-50 minutes most days for about 3 weeks now & have been watching my carbs. I lose a pound a week if that....very discouraging. Low carb used to work well for me. Now it's like I have to not eat AT ALL, plus exercise for over an hour to see results. I want to be 299 by the beginning of December...not sure I can do that at this point in time...will see though. Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving & try not to stress too much. I'm here if you'd like to talk.:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...