Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Weigh-in


Image courtesy of Ampersand Seven

Down to 312.8 from 314.2. That's 1.4 pounds lost in a week! Could this plateau be over? Could this new low-carb lifestyle be working? Oh, please please please let it be true. I won't get too excited until I can maintain that loss (and possibly lose more) for another week, but man was I happy to see that number on the scale this morning. When I felt my jeans getting looser, I hoped a whoosh was on its way. This is the lowest I've been since I started (it seemed like I'd never break that 314 barrier), so I have my fingers crossed it isn't a fluke. I weighed myself four times before I finally believed it. ;)

Eating low-carb and high-protein has kept me super full during the day. I know. Duh. But as an example, I've been around 1600 calories the past few days, and I feel stuffed. Normally, I eat around 1800 - 2000 and feel sort of satisfied but could probably eat more. Not today. I had to practically force dinner down. It's good to know I won't have any issues eating at maintenance, once I finally get there. Maintenance for a woman my height and frame is around 1800 - 1960 calories per day.

My favorite new breakfast item is Greek yogurt. I really like the Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt. It's in a blue container, just like their Oikos brand. I've been eating the blueberry flavor all week, and I have strawberry on-deck. They also have raspberry, I believe. I have a couple pieces of string cheese on my way out the door, and then I have the Greek yogurt as a snack as soon as I get to work. I guess you could call it "second breakfast" since it's only a half-hour later. :)

For lunch, I've been eating a lot of tuna salad with hard-boiled egg (on low-carb bread), but I've read I need to limit my tuna consumption due to mercury levels. I'm not sure how many cans of tuna I eat per week, since the tuna salad is prepared in our cafeteria, but I'm going to limit it to three days per week just in case.

Brent was very patient with me when I went grocery shopping with him the other night. I spent a lot of time looking at labels on everything I wanted. Now that I have some pretty good basics, I can just give him a list when he goes on his usual day (Saturday, when I'm at work). I don't want to eat the same things every day, but it's a good start, and I can always plan weekly menus from here. I have full control over breakfast and lunch, but I need to plan some good, healthy dinners that we can both eat. I canceled my subscription to the South Beach Diet, which was purchased in a fit of panic, but maybe I can buy their recipe book or another low-carb recipe book.

One challenge of reducing my carbs is that my fat intake is going up. I haven't been too high, but it's weird to see myself exceeding my limit, even if it's only a few grams. I don't want to lose weight and end up with heart disease anyway. ;) So, I need to find some low-glycemic foods to replace some of the cheese in my daily intake. I also need to make my own tuna salad instead of eating it in the cafe. Then I can be sure it has low-fat or non-fat mayo, fewer hard-boiled eggs, etc.

5 comments:

  1. Yay congrats on breaking that barrier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Sometimes mixing things up is just what you need to rev the ol' engine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plateau is over! Yay! High Protien - Low Carb is the way to go. I know this might sound weird but instead of mayo on my tuna I use 2 tblspns of italian salad dressing and mix it with that. Its better then mayo and gives it a good flavor. I also eat it with cucumbers instead of crackers.

    I am happy for you, you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Low carb is awesome...IF I could stick to it. I can't eat too many eggs..even though I love them. I used to be allergic to them when I was little, but seemed to have gotten over that, but now the allergy seems to be back.:( Horrible stomach pains when I eat them. Though hard boiled doesn't seem to bother me..weird. Also hard for me to buy low carb as it is a bit more expensive than junk food.:( If you read my blog, you will understand a bit. But I'm going to try to go low carb as well. Will see how it goes. Awesome on your weight loss!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...