Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend


First of all, whatever you are doing this weekend, please take a moment to reflect on and thank those brave men and women who served, fought for, and died for our country. They left behind friends and family so that we may enjoy time with our own loved ones in a free country. They made the ultimate sacrifice, and in the midst of clearance sales, barbecues, and sleeping in, the very least we can do is remember why Monday is a holiday. If you are out and about and see a veteran, please take the time to thank them for their service. Hell, give 'em a beer while you're at it.

~*~

Ahh, Memorial Day weekend. I have to work today, but I have Tuesday off to make up for it. I get a three-day weekend, just not on the three days everyone else has off. I may be in the office today, but while you're all back at work, dealing with Tuesday drudgery and playing catch-up, I'll be sleeping in. ;)

I'm not going to go hog wild this weekend (har har), but with an inability to track my calories and an unsureity of when I'll be able to exercise, I've decided to just leave it up to my willpower and current knowledge of what's Good and what's Bad.

I realized I should probably plan as best as I can, though. It would be stupid to avoid my aunt's amazing baking, my uncle's amazing barbecue, and Lafayette's amazing coneys, so I plan to do Turbo Jam tonight. We're having a potluck at work today, and I haven't eaten TOO much food, but I'm not taking any chances!

Anyway, we're leaving for Detroit tomorrow morning, and we'll be spending Sunday afternoon and evening with my cousins. There is talk of mini-golf, which means walking and moving around. I'm okay with this plan. We might walk around Greektown some too.

On Monday, we're going over to my aunt and uncle's house for a barbecue. When we get home Monday night, I can go for a walk or do Turbo Jam again (depending on how much I pig out). ;)

So I think the weekend should be okay, but it is a bit nerve-wracking not being able to have full, complete control of my food, my eating schedule, and my exercise. I've already promised myself I won't get upset if I don't lose any weight this week. If I do, then I can give myself a pat on the back for surviving a holiday weekend relatively unscathed. If not, oh well.

I deserve a fun weekend with my relatives, and if it means not losing two pounds this week, that's okay. It's all about the big picture. It doesn't mean I've fallen off the wagon. It doesn't mean I'm in the middle of a set-back. It's quality time spent with family, and that's really all that matters until I'm home and back into my routine again.

That's the difference between a lifestyle change and a crash diet. My lifestyle has to allow for family, friends, and fun while being smart about my choices; otherwise, I'm not living, and you can't have a lifestyle if you refuse to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...