Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hunger Games, an Ex, and a Walk

I finally got to test my new shoes tonight, but first, I feel a need to post about my day.


I saw The Hunger Games this afternoon. I can't believe it took me this long to see it! I read the trilogy when the movie was released, but then I just kept putting it off and forgetting.

Last night, Brent and I saw Cabin in the Woods (fabulous), and I saw the posters for The Hunger Games. I made note of the show times and decided to go this afternoon.

I loved it! It was mostly true to the book, and the little changes they made were necessary to keep it from being too confusing. I thought it was cast quite well. Effie was awesome. :)

When I got home, I posted a status update on Facebook about how much I enjoyed the movie but didn't enjoy the woman in front of me, who thought it necessary to spoil and comment on every. little. thing. Luckily, I'd read the books, but the people around us might not have. I shushed her a couple of times before finally moving to another seat a couple of rows away. No biggie. I was on the end and moved to another end seat, so nobody was disturbed.

Anyway, my ex-boyfriend, who I hadn't talked to since last summer, decided to pop up and say I should have gotten a manager, blah blah blah. I told him it wasn't worth it since I didn't want to miss any of the movie; plus, it was super easy to just change seats. No harm, no foul.

He continued to argue with me about how I wasn't being "proactive", and so on. I got so angry that Brent had to come over and rub my hands so I wouldn't spout all of the hatred and vitriol I'd wanted to spout while I was dating this jerk and after he broke up with me. The only reason he's remained on my friends list is because we have a lot of mutual friends and it just wasn't worth the drama. He's been slowly losing a lot of those friends, but I still didn't want to be the one to make the first move to drop him.

Well, I dropped him. I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere just sitting there letting him have access to my Facebook, and I knew how hard it would be for me to hold back. So, rather than tempt myself, and to make his existence a little less obvious, I de-friended him and then went a step further and blocked him.

It felt SO GOOD. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.


Anyway, I still couldn't calm down, so I decided to go for a walk. After he broke up with me, I went for lots and lots and lots of walks because he made me so angry, and the fallout was even worse. I lost about forty pounds that summer doing nothing but walking (I was still eating like I always do; the exercise was the only adjustment I made to my daily routine). There were some nights I'd walk for 2-3 hours, until I was so sore and spent I practically crawled home.

So, tonight, I went for one of those walks. I turned up my iPod, blasted some angry music, and walked. I walked a lot faster and farther than I usually do, and that's after a long period of not walking. (I've been focusing on upper body workouts to save my knees.) I was surprised and impressed, but I kept moving instead of questioning it. I'm sure the new shoes were a big part of it. I'm so pleased! My legs got tired before my feet, which hasn't happened since that summer in 2008 when I walked the anger away.

Anger is a big motivator for me to exercise, since it's the "safe" way to release it (compared to driving or punching something). I don't want to get angry 4-5 times per week, so I need to find something that can propel me out of my recliner just as easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...